City of Des Moines Private Property Protection Program
The Private Property Protection Program will provide a subsidy for properties within the City of Des Moines to property owners that contract with a licensed plumber to redirect one or more of the eligible sources of infiltration and inflow to an outlet other than the sanitary sewer system or to install a backwater valve on the private sewer service to protect against surcharges on the public sewer system.
With this program, the City will make a Private Property Protection Program subsidy reimbursement for 50% of the cost up to $1,000 to the property owners who meet the requirements of the program as listed in the key elements below. The reimbursement for approved work will be by direct payment to the property owner.
The work must have been performed and completed between the dates of January 1, 2017, and June 30, 2023, to be eligible for the subsidy program.
Qualifying Work Eligible for Funding:
- The installation or redirection of a sump pump to discharge flows from foundation drains and area drains to a non-sanitary sewer outlet such as a rain garden, storm sewer, or the ground surface.
- The disconnection of roof leaders from the sanitary sewer service.
- The installation of backwater valve.
Terms for Eligibility for Reimbursement Subsidy:
- Must be an improvement to an existing home within the City of Des Moines (not new construction).
- Must be one of the improvements listed as qualifying work above.
- Subsidy will be for 50% of the cost actually paid by property owner up to $1,000.
- Must be performed by a licensed plumber and work must have a plumbing permit issued by the City of Des Moines. Permit requirements can include requiring that work be done on other plumbing on your property in addition to eligible work.
- The property receiving the improvements must be in the City of Des Moines, connected to the sanitary sewer system and the sewer user fees must be current.
- Limit of $1,000 per property; any subsidy payment from this program may be subject to income tax.
- Retroactive to eligible work performed and completed beginning January 1, 2017.
- Subsidy Credit program eligibility expires on June 30, 2023.
- Property owner must complete an application form and submit an itemized invoice from a licensed plumber with proof of payment.
- Work cannot proceed until the application has been approved.
- Subsidy will not be paid until W-9 tax form is submitted.
- Application must be received by June 1, 2023.
Method of Reimbursement:
- The subsidy will be paid to the property owner as a direct payment for the amount of the qualifying work.
Mail to: Sewer Enterprise Division, 3000 Vandalia Road, Des Moines, IA 50317-1346
For questions on this program, contact the Sewer Enterprise Office at 515-323-8165, or visit the city’s web site for application at: http://www.dmgov.org/Departments/PublicWorks/Pages/PrivatePropProtectProg.aspx